Learn Why Having a Clean HVAC Air Filter is So Important!
FACT: Changing the air filter in your furnace is a simple and easy job that you should be doing on a regular basis.
Put an appointment on your calendar—whether it’s a paper or phone reminder—to check the air filter once a month and change it as needed. Does your home have dogs, cats, or other furry pets residing there? If so, the pros at Blue Flame recommend checking your air filter even more frequently.
Here’s what to do when checking and changing your air filter.
- You must first determine the size of the air filter you require. Check your furnace’s user guide or what’s currently being utilized. The measurements of a filter’s width, length, and thickness are usually given. For example, if the air filter is listed as 16x25x1, it is 16 inches wide, 25 inches long, and 1 inch thick. Air filters can be found at your local home improvement store, so stocking up on several at a time can make things a bit easier.
- To check the air filter and change it, you must first turn off the furnace.
- Next, locate the air filter on your furnace. Most filters are installed in the blower compartment or incorporated into the metal ductwork before the blowing fan.
- Remove the old air filter, noting the arrow on the filter frame that indicates the proper air flow direction. Make sure to install the new filter in the same way as before. It might be useful to mark out the direction of air flow with a permanent marker on the furnace housing or ductwork near the filter.
- After removing the old filter, place it into a trash bag as right away to keep it from spreading dust and dirt in the immediate area.
The Benefits of a Clean Air Filter
A clean air filter is beneficial for your home, your health, and your bank account, in several ways. Here are some things they help with!
Saving money. A dirty or clogged air filter causes your HVAC system work harder, which, in turn, increases your monthly energy costs. A clean air filter and regular professional maintenance aid in the optimum efficiency of your furnace, meaning you’ll spend the least amount possible keeping your home comfortable.
Preventing breakdowns. Did you know that a dirty or clogged air filter is one of the most common reasons of a furnace breakdown? As we said before, filters left unchanged force your furnace to work harder, creating more wear on parts, which can eventually lead to a breakdown and expensive repairs. That wear also shortens the life expectancy of your furnace and can force you into having to replace your furnace sooner than you should have to.
Improving indoor air quality. An HVAC filter helps control airborne dust, dirt, and allergens from circulating around your home—but only if it isn’t clogged. If you or someone in your home has allergies, asthma, or respiratory issues such as COPD, it’s critical to inspect and change your air filter on a regular basis. There are additional advantages. Cleaning the house is easier because there is less dust and dirt circulating all over!
Ensure your home comfort all season long by utilizing the most dependable propane delivery in Become a Blue Flame customer today!