Spring 2019 is almost here, and few things say ‘spring’ more than the smell of a delicious meal cooking on a propane grill.
Just remember to grill healthy!
Healthy grilling mostly means avoiding HCAs (heterocyclic amines and PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) – two cancer-causing chemicals that form when you cook fatty meats over high heat and flame.
You can keep HCAs and PAHs from forming almost completely by following these five tips for healthy grilling:
- Select lean meats – Choosing lean beef, pork, or chicken dramatically cuts the potential for HCA and PAH formation.
- Marinate liberally – Olive oil is one of the strongest anti-HCA agents; use it in all your grilling marinades. Basil, mint, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and sage can also reduce HCA formation dramatically. Never use the liquid your food was marinating in to baste your grilled food; this passes raw meat juices to your cooked meat.
- Reduce your grilling time – Cook your meat long enough to reach its healthy internal temperature, but not longer than that. Smaller portions such as skewered meats cook faster and spend less time on the grill.
- Flip food more often – Flipping reduces the risk of HCA formation.
- Grill more fruits and vegetables – Grilled fruits and veggies are PAH-and HCA-free (and delicious and healthy, too!). Asparagus, eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini, cantaloupe, and even apples are all great for grilling.
Enjoy healthy grilling this spring – and don’t forget to stay fueled and ready with Lil’ Hank’s BBQ Tanks from Blue Flame! Look for our propane tank exchange stations at hardware and convenience stores in our Southern New Jersey service area.
Blue Flame – proudly serving Cape May, Vineland, Cherry Hill, Princeton, Toms River, Long Branch, Brown Mills, Lakewood, East Brunswick, and surrounding areas in New Jersey.